USS Prevail (AM 107), Threat (AM 124) & Velocity (AM 128) above, anchored in Shanghai, 1946. (Velocity is closest to dock)
USS Velocity (AM 128)
Laid down on 21 July 1941, she was launched 15 April 1942 and commissioned USS Velocity
(AM 128) on 4 April 1943.
After Dad left her, she remained in Portland, Oregon until repairs were complete, then she proceeded to Japan. There, she operated in the China Sea, including Shanghai, China for a time; returning to San Francisco, 21 Jan 1946.
She earned 5 battle stars for her service.
Decommissioned, 7 October 1946, she was put in reserve status and later re-classified as Fleet Minesweeper (Steel Hull), MSF-128.
On 7 February 1955, she was struck from the Navy Register, then sold to the Mexican Government on
1 July 1972. They re-designated her as ARM Ignacio L. Vallarta (G-14) and later, P-113.
She remained in active service until sometime in
Final fate, unknown.
Specifications: Displacement 890 tons; Length 221' 2"; Beam 32'; Draft 10' 9"; Speed 18.1 kts.; Complement 105; Armament: one single 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, two single 40mm gun mounts, two single 20mm gun mounts, two depth charge tracks, five depth charge projectiles; Propulsion two 3,532 shp General Motors 12-278 diesel -electric engines, Farrel-Birmingham reduction gear & two shafts.
USS Sub Chaser 1011
Laid down on 17 August 1942, she was launched on 16 December 1942 and commissioned SC-1011
on 29 July 1943.
She worked primarily around Hawaii. She was later transferred to the Soviet Union on 7 August 1945 as BO-327.
Final fate, unknown.
Specifications: Wooden Hull. (Part of the wooden "Splinter Fleet")
Displacement 95 tons; Length 110"; Beam 17'; Draft 6' 6"; Speed 21 kts; Complement 28; Armament: one 40mm gun mount, two .50 cal. machine guns, two dcp "Y Gun," and two dct; Propulsion two 1,540 bhp General Motors.
USS San Bernardino
Originally a private yacht, she was laid down as the Vanda on 2 February 1928 by the Bath Iron Works in Bath, Maine for Ernest B. Dane of Brookline, MA. Launched on 3 October 1928, she was delivered to
Mr. Dane on 22 April 1929.
Acquired by the Navy on 20 January 1942, she was converted to a "Patrol Gunboat" by Thames Shipyard, Inc. and commissioned as the
San Bernardino (PG 59) on 2 June 1942.
She worked as a weather station boat around Oahu, Midway, Johnston, Canton & Palmyra Islands.
Decommissioned on 4 January 1946, she was struck from the Navy Register on 8 May 1946 and transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal on
15 October 1946.
Specifications: Length 240' 2"; Breath 36' 4"; Draft 15' 11";
Speed 17 kts; Compliment 107; Armament: two 3" dual purpose gun mounts & two 40mm gun mounts.